- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 2 packed cups Baby Spinach, chopped
- 15 ounces low-fat ricotta
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 2 lbs pizza dough (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 large egg
- Preheat to 450ºF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Warm oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper, if desired. Sauté for 30 seconds. Reduce heat to low. Add broccoli. Sauté for 2 minutes. Cover and cook until broccoli is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in spinach.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan; season with salt and pepper. Stir in broccoli mixture.
- Divide the dough into eight portions. Working with 1 portion at a time, roll out dough on a lightly floured counter into 8-inch rounds. Divide filling among dough circles (about 3/4 cup each). Fold dough over to enclose filling; press to seal edges. Beginning in 1 corner, stretch sealed edge outward, pinching and rolling dough up and over to form a decorative edge.
- Transfer calzones to baking sheet. Whisk egg with 1 teaspoons water. Brush top of each calzone with egg wash. Cut 3 small vents in each calzone. Bake until golden, 13 to 15 minutes. Serve with marinara or Italian dressing if desired.