Tex-Mex Hash Brown Casserole
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 4 ounces Mexican chorizo
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 1/3 cup grated white onion
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds Yukon gold or baking potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped avocado
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Heat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon canola oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Remove the casings from chorizo. Add chorizo to pan; sauté for 3 minutes, stirring to crumble. Add garlic, and sauté for 30 seconds. Remove sausage mixture from pan. Combine the sausage mixture and enchilada sauce.
- Add remaining 3 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Combine grated onion, salt, pepper, potato, and egg; toss. Add potato mixture to pan, pressing gently; cook for 10 minutes (do not stir). Spread enchilada sauce mixture evenly over potato mixture; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand for 10 minutes. Cut into 6 wedges.
- Combine avocado and juice; toss gently. Stir in cilantro and remaining ingredients. Serve cilantro mixture with casserole.
Yield: Serves 6 (serving size: 1 wedge)
Total: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes