- 1 acorn or delicata squash, halved. (Any squash with a sweet flavor will work)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/4lb Italian sausage (you may use some homemade that we had in the freezer)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 bunch chard, stems and leaves separated, stems chopped.
- 1/2 cup cooked farro
- garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- feta cheese, to taste
Halve the squash, remove seeds, place face down on an oiled cookie sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes in a preheated 350F oven. In the meantime, cook the sausage in a medium-sized skillet. The sausage should have enough fat that you won’t need to add any oil, but feel free to add a dash or two if you want. Once the sausage is almost cooked, add chopped onion, bell peppers, chard, and garlic. Saute until the veggies start to soften, then add cumin and chili powder. Stir to incorporate the spices, then add chopped chard leaves. Cover the pan and let the leaves wilt, about 2-3 minutes. Stir the mixture.
Remove squash from the oven. Set bottoms in rammikins so they are upright. Fill cavities with sausage/veggie mixture. Add feta cheese on top. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or until feta is browned.