- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 125 g cream cheese, room temp
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 1/4 cups icing sugar (or more as needed)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil and eggs until smooth. Add pumpkin puree, maple syrup, and vanilla. Beat well.
- Slowly add flour mixture, beating until smooth.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin pan. Bake in preheated oven for 22-27 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched.
- Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes.
- Removes cupcakes from pan and let cool completely on rack.
- To make frosting: In a bowl, using and electric mixer on low speed, beat together cream cheese, butter and salt until creamy.
- Add sugar a little at a time, beating until combined.
- Increase speed to high and beat until light and fluffy.
- If you would like stiffer or sweeter frosting you can add more sugar at this stage 1/4 cup at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- If you would like spicy frosting add the 1 teaspoon of pie spice to the mixture and beat just until evenly distributed. Optionally you can use it to dust the tops of the frosted cupcakes.
- Pipe or spoon frosting onto completely cooled cupcakes.
Yield: 12 cupcakes