Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1 green, yellow, or red sweet pepper, cut into strips
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 chicken drumsticks, skinned (about 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 14-1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- Hot cooked pasta or rice
- Combine mushrooms, celery, carrot, onions, sweet pepper, and garlic in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Place chicken on vegetables. Combine broth, wine, tapioca, sugar, oregano, bay leaves, salt, and pepper; pour over chicken.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3-1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken; cover to keep warm. Remove and discard bay leaves. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in undrained tomatoes and the tomato paste. Cover and cook for 15 minutes more. Serve vegetable mixture over chicken and cooked pasta.
Makes: 6 servings