- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless top round steak, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook noodles according to package label directions until tender, about 9 minutes. Drain well.
- Warm oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook, stirring, until just cooked, about 4 minutes. Remove beef to a paper towel-lined bowl. Drain all but 2 Tbsp. fat from skillet. Add mushrooms; sauté until tender and water has released, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to bowl with beef.
- In same skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Mix flour, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Whisk into butter mixture and cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Mix milk, broth and Worcestershire. Slowly whisk milk mixture into flour mixture. Cook, whisking constantly, until sauce is bubbly and beginning to thicken, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add sour cream and whisk until heated through.
- Return beef and mushrooms to skillet. Stir in noodles. Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Yield: 6 servings