Sausage and Bean Casserole
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1 (16-ounce) package light smoked turkey sausage (such as Hillshire Farm), cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices$
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 (16-ounce) cans cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 3 (1-ounce) slices white bread
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and turkey sausage to pan; sauté for 5 minutes or until browned. Add garlic, and sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in 2 tablespoons brown sugar, tomato paste, dried thyme, freshly ground black pepper, cannellini beans, and bay leaf. Add ground red pepper, if desired. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place bread in a food processor, and pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1 1/2 cups.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs evenly over bean mixture, and lightly coat with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until browned. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with parsley.