FOR THE BROWNIES
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1/4 cup butter 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons fat-free evaporated milk, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, coursely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon course sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To prepare brownies.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife.
- Combine the flour, and the next 4 ingredients (through baking powder) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
- Combine 6 tablespoons butter, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Add this mixture to the flour mixture,stir to combine.
- Scrape batter into a 9-inch square metal baking pan lightly coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 19 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted comes out with moist crumbs clinging.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
TO PREPARE TOPPING:.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add brown sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons milk, and cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and add vanilla and powdered sugar, and stir with a whisk until smooth.
- Spread mixture evenly over cooled brownies,let stand 20 minutes, or until set.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons milk, and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, and microvave on high for 45 seconds, or until melted, stirring after 20 seconds.
- Stir just until smooth, and drizzle over caramel.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, let stand until set, and cut into 20 squares.