- 3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups ginger ale
- oil (for frying)
- 1/2 cup sugar, for coating
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, for coating
- Sift together the flour, dry milk, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar; then beat in the eggs.
- Mix the pumpkin and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with ginger ale, mixing well after each addition.
- In a large heavy pan, heat 3 inches of oil to 375 degrees.
- Drop batter 1 tablespoon at a time for each doughnut into hot oil. Cook 4-5 doughnuts at a time for about 2 minutes, turning to brown evenly. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain (paper bags work good for this).
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a paper bag and shake doughnuts in the bag to coat.
- These are best served immediately, though they may be made a day ahead and reheated in a 450 degree oven for 5-6 minutes.
Total Time: 30 mins