- 3/4 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, plus more for dusting
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 15-by-10-inch jelly-roll pan. Line pan with parchment paper and grease paper.
- Make cake: Whisk together flour, cinnamon, ginger and 1/4 tsp. salt.
- With electric mixer on high, beat egg yolks, granulated sugar and brown sugar until thick and pale, about 3 minutes. On low, mix in pumpkin and then dry ingredients.
- With a clean bowl and beaters, beat egg whites and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt until stiff but not dry. Fold into batter in 3 additions. Scrape into pan; spread evenly. Bake until springy to touch, about 15 minutes.
- Dust a clean kitchen towel with confectioners’ sugar. Loosen cake from pan; turn out onto towel and peel off parchment. Roll cake lengthwise in towel; turn seam to bottom and let cake cool.
- Make filling: Beat all 5 ingredients on high until smooth, about 3 minutes. Unroll cake, spread filling evenly and reroll. Trim ends diagonally and dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Yield: 8 Servings