Pot Liquor Soup
- 2 pounds fresh collard greens
- 3/4 pound smoked ham hocks
- 1 (1 1/2-pound) ham steak, chopped
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 red potatoes, diced
- 3 (14 1/2-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (15.8-ounce) cans field peas with snaps, rinsed and drained
- 2 (15.8-ounce) cans crowder peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup vermouth
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Remove and discard stems and discolored spots from collards; rinse with cold water. Drain; tear into 1-inch pieces.
- Bring collards, ham hocks, and water to cover to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Remove from heat; drain. Repeat procedure once.
- Toss together chopped ham and hot sauce; cook in hot oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 6 to 8 minutes or until browned.
- Add onion and garlic; saute until tender. Stir in collards, ham hocks, potato, and remaining ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes.
- Remove meat from hocks; discard hocks. Return meat to soup.