- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 (16 ounce) package penne pasta, cooked and drained
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is browned; drain.
- Stir in tomato sauce, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, allspice, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- In a saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter.
- Stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add milk; bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Remove from heat.
- Add eggs; whisk until smooth.
- In a bowl, combine pasta and remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Melt remaining butter; add to pasta and toss to coat.
- Spread 1/3 of meat mixture in a greased 13×9 inch casserole dish.
- Layer with half of the pasta, 1/3 of meat mixture, and half of the white sauce; repeat.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until thoroughly heated and bubbly.
Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes