- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose soft-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- Paper baking cups
- Vegetable cooking spray
Vanilla Bean Frosting:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (16-oz.) packages powdered sugar
- 2 drops blue liquid food coloring
- White chocolate curls
- Edible glitter stars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in extracts.
- Place paper baking cups in 2 (12-cup) muffin pans, and coat with cooking spray; spoon batter into cups, filling two-thirds full.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely.
- Prepare two recipes of Vanilla Bean Frosting. Beat first 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended. Beat at high speed 2 minutes or until creamy. Makes 3 cups.
- Fill each cupcake with Vanilla Bean Frosting. To fill cupcakes, insert the end of a wooden spoon or dowel into the center of the cupcake to make a hole. Fill a zip-top plastic freezer bag with filling or frosting. Use scissors or kitchen shears to snip about 1/4 inch from one corner of the bag; insert bag into the hole in the cupcake. Squeeze gently until filling comes to the top of each cupcake.
- Add food coloring to remaining Vanilla Bean Frosting. Stir gently until marbled.
- Frost each cupcake with marbled frosting using metal tip no. 2D. Top each with white chocolate curls and edible glitter stars.