Lemon and Olive Chicken
- 8 bone-in chicken breast halves
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lemons
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup green olives, pitted and halved
- 2 cups chicken stock or reduced-sodium broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Sprinkle chicken with 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. In two batches, sear chicken, skin side first, until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Cut lemons in half lengthwise and then into thin slices crosswise. If the skillet is dry, add remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add onions and garlic, and cook over medium heat until soft but not brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in lemon slices, olives, stock, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put chicken on top of vegetables, pour in any accumulated juices from the plate, and sprinkle with thyme and crushed red pepper. Cover, and simmer until chicken is just cooked through, about 15 minutes.