Italian Wedding Soup
- 1 pkg. Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage, decased
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup Bread Crumbs, (plain or seasoned)
- 2 tsp. Fennel Seeds, crushed or chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Italian Parsley, minced
- 1/8 tsp. Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 med. Onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp. Dried or fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. Dried Sage leaves
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely minced
- 1 med. Carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk Celery, finely chopped
- 8 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Bay leaf
- 8 oz. Orzo Pasta, cooked
- 1 cup Spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Mix meatball ingredients together and roll small meatballs the size of a marble. (If forming the meatball is difficult, cover and refrigerate first.)
- In a medium pan, cook orzo al dente, according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Prep the vegetables.
- In a large pot, saute onion, thyme and sage in olive oil. When the onion starts to turn a golden color; add garlic, carrot, celery and cook for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Set the vegetable mixture aside on a plate.
- In the same pot add all the meatballs and cook for 2-3 minutes before stirring (this will keep them from breaking). Gently toss with a rubber spatula to brown on all sides.
- Add reserved vegetables, chicken stock, Bay leaf. Simmer gently, (do not boil) until vegetables are tender and meatballs are cooked through.
- Add cooked orzo and spinach, stir together. (Adding spinach right before serving will help it maintain its rich green color).
- Garnish soup bowls with parmesan cheese.