- 1 1/2 cups (24 tablespoons) softened butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind (zest); the rind of 2 medium oranges
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 teaspoon orange oil or 1 teaspoon Fiori di Sicilia
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 cups Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teasoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and lightly grease 2 9X9 square pans. Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Blend in the orange zest and flavorings.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time on low speed, blending well.
- Whisk together the flour, xanthan gum, and salt, then stir into the butter/sugar mixture just until thoroughly combined.
- Scrape the bowl well to be sure all the dry ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
- Divide the mixture evenly between two lightly greased 9″ x 9″ pans.
- Bake the shortbreads in a preheated 350°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until their edges are nicely browned.
- Wait about 10 minutes, then turn the shortbreads out of the pan gently. Cut immediately into desired shapes while still warm.
Yield: 2 9X9 square pans.