Gluten-free Chocolate Waffles
- 2 cups (King Arthur) Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour or brown rice flour blend
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup buttermilk powder, optional
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
Combine the liquid ingredients separately:
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons melted butter or vegetable oil
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon chocolate extract
Whisk the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients until well blended.
Some lumps may remain; that’s OK. If you’re adding chocolate chips, this would be the time to stir 1/2 cup into the batter.
Allow the batter to rest, covered and cozy.
This batter rested at room temperature for about 1/2 hour, allowing it to thicken and develop some CO2.
Once the batter has rested, you can heat your waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Remove the waffle immediately after baking, and serve immediately or hold in a warm (200°-225°) oven, preferably raised on a rack to prevent waffles from getting soggy.