Creamy Turkey Tetrazzini
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 3/4 cup carrot (I use the pre-cut matchstick carrots)
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1/2 cup white wine (or sherry)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth (or turkey broth)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (divided)
- 4 ounces light cream cheese (low fat)
- 1 (8 ounce) package thin spaghetti (cooked)
- 2 cups turkey meat, cooked and shredded (or chicken)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (I use panko)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Melt butter in saute pan.
- Add onion, celery, pepper, salt, carrots, and mushrooms (optional).
- Saute until vegetables are tender.
- Add flour and stir until vegetables are coated.
- Add wine, and stir quickly until flour is absorbed.
- Gradually add broth, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat.
- Add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and the Neufchatel cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
- Add the peas, turkey and pasta.
- Stir until blended.
- Coat a casserole with non-stick spray and transfer mixture to the casserole.
- Combine breadcrumbs (or panko) with 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle mixture evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes until lightly browned.
- Let rest for 15 minutes before serving.