- 8 thin slices white or whole-wheat sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto
- Roll each slice of bread to 1/4-inch thickness with a rolling pin. Using a whisk, beat cream cheese with butter until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread about 1/2 Tbsp. cream cheese mixture evenly over each slice of bread. Top with 1 Tbsp. pesto and spread thinly. Carefully roll into a tight cylinder.
- Wrap each cylinder in plastic and twist ends like a candy wrapper to completely seal. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Unwrap cylinders. Using a sharp knife dipped in hot water and wiped dry, cut each cylinder into 6 pieces. Arrange cut side up on a platter and serve at room temperature.
Yield: 48 pieces