Collards With Red Onions
- 3 (16-oz.) packages fresh collard greens
- 2 medium-size red onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- Trim and discard thick stems from bottom of collard green leaves. Thoroughly wash collard greens.
- Sauté onions in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Add broth and next 4 ingredients.
- Gradually add collards to Dutch oven, and cook, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or just until wilted. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 hour or until tender.