Chocolate Peppermint Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups salted butter
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable shortening
- 10-11 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp peppermint extract
- 3/4 cup water or milk
- red icing color
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- PEEPS® Chocolate Dipped Candy Cane Flavored Chicks
- 2-3 candy canes, chopped
To make the chocolate cake layers:
1. Prepare three 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper circles in the bottom, and grease the sides. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and combine.
3. Add eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil and vanilla to the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Slowly add water. Mix well.
5. Divide batter evenly between cakes pans and bake for about 30-33 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs.
6. Remove cakes from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
To make the icing:
7. Beat together butter and shortening until smooth.
8. Slowly add 4 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
9. Add peppermint extract and ½ cup of milk or water and mix until smooth.
10. Add remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
11. Add remaining ¼ cup of water or milk and mix until smooth.
12. Remove 1 ½ cups of icing and die it red with red icing color.
To assemble cake:
13. When the cakes are cool, remove the tops of the cakes with a large serrated knife so they are flat.
14. Place the first layer of cake on serving plate. Spread the red icing into an even layer on top of the cake.
15. Place the second layer of cake on top of the red icing and top it with 1 ½ cups of peppermint icing (should be white). Spread into an even layer.
16. Top cake with the third layer of cake.
17. Add cocoa to remaining icing and mix until well combined. You may need to add another 2-3 tbsp of water or milk to get the icing to a nice, spreadable consistency.
18. Ice the outside of the cake with the chocolate buttercream. Here’s a tutorial (http://www.lifeloveandsugar.com/2015/07/30/how-to-frost-a-smooth-cake-with-buttercream/) for getting a smooth finish.
19. To make the chocolate ganache, place chocolate chips in a medium sized bowl.
21. Microwave heavy cream just until it begins to boil.
22. Pour heated cream over the chocolate chips and cover the bowl with clear wrap. Allow to site for 5-7 minutes, then whisk until smooth.
23. Pour ganache onto the top of the cake, then use an offset spatula to spread it to the outer edges of the cake, pushing it over the edges in some spots.
24. Top the cake with PEEPS Chocolate Dipped Candy Cane Flavored Chicks
and chopped candy canes.
25. Allow ganache to set and refrigerate cake until ready to serve.