Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium green pepper
- 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup non-fat tortilla chips (optional)
Print The Recipe
Sauté onion, garlic, jalapeño and green pepper with olive oil in a large pot until soft.
Add all the rest of the ingredients to the large pot and bring to a boil.
After about 15 minutes, remove the chicken breasts and shred.
(Two forks work well to pull the chicken apart!).
Return shredded chicken to the pot and simmer an additional 45 minutes.
Serve, topped with crushed tortilla chips if desired.