- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (or vegetable shortening)
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 bananas, ripe, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat a 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, with electric mixer, cream butter (or shortening) and brown sugar. Beat in egg, buttermilk, vanilla, and mashed banana until blended.
- In a bowl, combine dry ingredients and spices.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the butter mixture until moistened. Do not overbeat.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into middle of cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for about 20 minutes.
- Serve warm, or room temperature.