Bacon Pepper Jack Hush Puppies
Sweet Chili Dijon Sauce
- 1/2 cup Thai Sweet Red Chili Sauce (found in Asian section of any supermarket)
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Hot sauce to taste (optional)
Bacon Pepper Jack Hushpuppies
- 1 1/2 quarts peanut, canola or vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1/2 cups fine cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cooked bacon, finely crumbled
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly chopped
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese, FRESHLY shredded
- 1 (15-ounce) can creamed corn
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Whisk together Sweet Chili Dijon Sauce ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil to 350F degrees in a deep-fryer or Dutch oven.
- In a large bowl, whisk together Wet Ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix together Dry Ingredients. Pour Dry Ingredients into Wet ingredients and stir just until evenly combined. Chill for 5 minutes.*
- Drop batter by 1 ½ teaspoons (or 1 heaping teaspoon) into the hot oil (it will be sticky!). Fry hushpuppies in batches for 2-3 minutes or until golden, flipping them about halfway through. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan while frying so you will have room to flip. Use tongs or a slotted spoon to transfer fried hushpuppies to a paper towel lined baking sheet or serving platter.
- Hush puppies are best served hot but still delicious room temperature. You can also reheat in the microwave for about 45 seconds.