- 5 strips bacon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Print The Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a dozen muffin cups with paper liners and set aside.
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat, turning often until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain; reserve 2 Tbsp. bacon fat from pan.
- Whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Then stir cheese into mixture. In a small bowl, beat together egg and milk; stir into dry mixture.
- Crumble bacon. Add bacon, reserved bacon drippings and melted butter to batter. Fold with rubber spatula until blended. Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan. Bake about 20 minutes, until springy to touch. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.