Avocado Baked Eggs with Creme Fraiche and Herbs Recipe
Avocado Baked Eggs with Creme Fraiche and Herbs
- 2 very large avocados, halved and stone removed
- 4 tbs crème fraîche or double cream
- 3 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked
- 2 tsp parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180 celsius (350 Fahrenheit) and boil the kettle.
- Scoop out roughly ⅓ of the flesh of the avocado (reserve to use in another recipe, such as my chickpea pancakes with avocado). Place the avocados inside the ramekins and ensure they fit tightly so that they won’t topple over and spill the filling everywhere. Alternatively, wrap the avocado base well in foil, making a stand to keep the avocado steady and out of the water.
- Combine the crème fraîche, thyme, parsley and salt and pepper in a bowl and stir well to combine. Divide half the mixture between the avocados. Carefully crack an egg into each of the avocados. Top with the remaining crème fraîche and grated cheese.
- Place the ramekins inside a large roasting tray and place on the shelf in the oven and add the boiling water from the kettle so that the water comes up to half the height of the ramekins. Bake for 15 minutes and serve immediately with toast soldiers or steamed asparagus spears.