Authentic Chinese Fried Rice
- 2 cups instant rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 cup frozen mixed peas and carrots (doesn’t have to be thawed)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (sounds like a lot, but it IS 2 cups of rice!)
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons oil, divided
- In a small pot, bring the water to a boil and then stir in rice. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and set aside.
- In a large skillet, place 2 tablespoons of oil to get hot over med-high heat. Scramble egg, stir-frying the heck outta that sucker to make sure it’s good and broken up. Put it into your serving bowl for holding.
- Put the other 2 tablespoons of oil in the skillet and fry the onion until almost transparent.
- Add the peas and carrots, stir-frying those to thaw. Heat thoroughly.
- By this time, the rice should be ready; pour it into the skillet and add the egg. Pour in the soy sauce as well.
- With a quick hand, toss ingredients over med-high heat and stir quickly. “Fry” the rice until all the soy sauce is distributed and the color and strength is to your liking.
- Dish this stuff up and serve it with your favorite other Chinese dishes or just do what I do and make a meal outta this stuff!